"You may say that I am a dreamer/But I am not the only one" John Lennon: "Imagine"

"So come brothers and sisters/For the struggle carries on" Billy Bragg: "The Internationale"


Elizannie has a reading room at 'Clarice's Book Page' http://www.villiersroad.blogspot.com/

Thursday 27 May 2010

Dunkirk Spirit


Remembering all the little boats and their sailors who crossed over to Dunkirk 70 years ago today, many from this little stretch of the Thames Estuary near to where I am sitting.

Many people cannot understand that although I am a committed pacifist I also want to honour and remember those who have died in the service of their country. Why should the two things be thought opposing? I do not believe that war and bearing arms solves anything, but still acknowledge the bravery of those who felt/feel differently and mourn their deaths. Individuals can become very aggressive toward me when they find out I am a pacifist and that always surprises me. I am not going to argue all my beliefs here as obviously there is another time and platform for that. But it would be nice if others remembered that sometimes to stand up and be counted as having a different view to the majority takes bravery of a different sort. And in this I am remembering and honouring all those who lost their lives or were imprisoned or otherwise suffered for their pacifism or conscientous objections in earlier times.

Shown above one of the little ships that left Leigh-on-Sea for Dunkirk, taken from the website: http://www.leigh-on-sea.net/leigh_dunkirk.html with thanks and I would recommend a visit to this site for more detailed information

2 comments:

  1. Dunkirk was a remarkable feat, allowing the British to continue the fight, and definitely affected the outcome of the war. Yesterday, December 7, was Pearl Harbor Day here in the States. With 70th anniversary dates coming up in the next few years, we will all be reminded of what my parents generation accomplished. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Mary. I - like you - would never want to forget what so many on all sides had to endure. We must keep the memories alive.

    ReplyDelete